Thursday, June 11, 2015

Refinement

I have been in a deeply contemplative mood the last few weeks- contemplating life, my life and the things that matter to me. I have been feeling peacefully alone in my thoughts.

I have been thinking about the different times in my life that were painful and yet, refining- things I have gone through that on the surface seemed like I came out a tangled mess but, in time, I found that I was made better, softer...made 'less.' And how many times have I said, 'Less is more!'

I have been thinking a lot about my work and what exactly it is I want it to be. I want it to be considered, 'less.' 'Less' meaning truly authentic and simple. Just simple. No bells, no whistles, nothing loud or ostentatious. Just true. And being 'true' is being vulnerable because it is the stuff of the heart. Have you ever had a rejected heart? I have discovered that rejection, if you let if make you better and not bitter, leads to more refinement- it makes you 'less' in a 'more' sort of way.

When you are 'less', you 'see' more- I see how much my husband adores me. I see that he is the love of my life. I see the stars in the night sky because I am looking up to God for answers and consolation. I see my own father's face as my children look at me. I can do this because of the refining and uncluttered 'quiet' in my heart.It makes me realize just what this life is- it really is so simple and wonderful and painfully.........refining.

"God, thank you for the refinement you have brought to my life. May it be expressed in all I do and all I am. 
Yours truly, Yvonne"

The last month I have been working on punch needle designs as requested! Now! Nothing can captivate me like rug hooking but I will create some punch needle designs. I started using the DMC flosses but have noticed (and how I have noticed!) the striking difference between the DMC and Valdani. So, now I am waiting for my Valdani to arrive and then I have a design that I am very exited to begin.

In the meantime, I have been  reproducing a rug that I have so admired. I do not know what it is called- all I know is I see a sweet lady , a dress, a handsome man and possibly cupid or a jealous man and I am mush- where is my hook? My basket of dyes? This design, I just found out this morning, was part of a series commissioned by James and Mercedes Hutchinson between the years of 1925-1945. Authentic and true and refined- and is admired still today!




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, Yvonne! Punch needle is my least favorite form of needleart...but not sounding crass....it does sell and with the Valdani threads they are rather beautiful. I just think it to be really tedious. I love rug hooking and next would be cross stitching, although my eyes don't see those tiny little holes like they used too years ago! Love your new design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! My thoughts have been running along the same path.. My life is so simple now that my kids have flown the nest. I've wondered what God has in store for me now. But it seems that less is what He has in mind. It reminds me of verses that have always spoke to me. I Thess 4:11&12 "Aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much ladies! Seriously. And Janine- wow! That Scripture hangs on my kitchen cupboard. I look at it often! My children are all growing up. The ones that are here are busy and gone a lot and it does make things different. I'm not needed as much and when I am, it's in a different sort of way. I love your comment- a real confirmation to me! :)

    ReplyDelete