Sunday, December 13, 2015

A 'Compilation' of Photographs of Creating 'Dream'



Saturday morning was marvelous. I got to start the morning with my son, Justin, over breakfast and lots of coffee at a local cafe. I love well established cafes- I love people watching and the accompanying sounds and smells- clanking plates, wafts of bacon and coffee, and observing people as they arrive. Over our toast and eggs, we talked about art, art and more art. I spoke of what a lousy blogger I am. "I don't know what to say!" Justin told me that that is because I am an artist and the things I really have to say are made with my hands. He told me to just post pictures- so, OK!


This rug is about a dream I had early last summer. I had experienced a broken heart in magnitude I could never explain earlier in the year. For months, I worked through the stages of grief that we all know. One morning I awoke from a dream so real and so meaningful that in the days to follow, I knew I needed to 'record' it with wool- one loop at a time. This is the very beginning and possibly my very favorite place to start- the face. It is always a surprise to me when a face is hooked in and my hooked piece from the onset carries personality and  helps me 'feel' the rest as I work away.


Rug hanging in wool studio where I can look at it as I come in and out- spotting problem areas or ideas. Here I have pieces of 'Midnight Blue' placed around to try to imagine what she will look like on the night sky.


I'm liking the night sky! A blend of my 'Midnight Blue' and 'Midnight in Paris.' The clouds and dress are both shades of Midnight Blue. I began hooking in segments of Sari ribbon through-out the sash.


At this point, I was trying to figure out how I was going to add the other details that I dreamed about.


In my dream, there was a cream colored 'globe' that represented the 'conflict' that I was so heart-sick over. My rug sat at this stage for quite some time until I decided to 'edit' what I actually saw. I was concerned that someone looking at it would not be able to figure out what was going on. What you see above is what I saw in my dream- soon to be 'edited.'




Do you see how I changed that globe to a moon? Oh, there is Mercedes who is at my feet every moment. She is a bit of a 'rug hooker' herself- she watches me dye and plan and hook and I actually talk to her as I work. 

"Girl, I love you, Girl! 
What do you think?
 Should I make a moon instead? 
Yeah, I thought so." 

Besides my dream, Mercedes (name meaning, ironically is 'Mercy, Pity, and Favor and no, I did not name her- she came to me with that name during 2015 while I was working through grief.) She has been the sweetest and most comical friend. OH! At this point, I noticed that the lady's neck looked like it had been scratched! I meant to suggest creases in her neck as she turned it but quickly saw that she looked like she had got in a tussle with an angry cat! Those lines were taken out and softened.


'Dream' hanging on my easel outside my shop. It will hang over my desk where I will always remember that dream that spoke to me about detachment and rising above.

So what is next? A pattern that I am actively working on only because I was dying to use a new color I have, 'A Rose By Any Other Name.' I simply think it is beautiful and want to use various shades of it to show how pretty it is and I am loving the whole idea...which was another topic of yesterday's breakfast with Justin. 



God bless you from my heart! Please visit my website at vintageheartrugdesign.com .

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful rug! Very peaceful image! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to blog--very true to YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an honor to know you! thank you for sharing your art and your heart felt thoughts with me and many others. You are such a blessing to me.. May God Bless you . Bernce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yvonne, thank you for taking us on your Dream journey. Very well done blog and of course another amazing piece of art for our eyes to feast upon! Keep Dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this post, very artistic and very nicely described. I like to be here, Thank you so much for sharing.oriental rugs for sale

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Thoughts provoking article it really help me to set my strategies regarding. Bass Embroidery Designs

    ReplyDelete
  7. For growth you need improvement. But to figure out the particular area where actually improvement required and recommendation, author actually provides all this in just one article. DigitEMB

    ReplyDelete